Thursday, February 21, 2013

How to Measure Your Fitness Results







Scale...Smale. Ugh! Most of us cringe at the thought of stepping on the scale when changing their diet and exercise regimen. We so badly want quick results. If "love is patient and kind" waiting for your body changing results can be "impatient and cruel".

We all know that no matter how much we want it to be true, there is no fast acting magic weight loss or muscle building pill. I will let you in on a little secret...the scale is not an accurate measurement of your results and it certainly does not care if you get mad at it or disagree with it.

Since I am getting ready to do a little training with the program Les Mills Combat, I am going to share what I do whenever I start a new workout program. I take measurements of key areas of my body with a tape measure and I take the dreaded before and after photos. When I first started exercising almost daily, I would look at the scale WAY too much and get very frustrated. The first thing you have to understand is that if you are working out, you are most likely gaining some weight from muscle building. You may be losing fat, but the scale plays tricks on you (the hateful apparatus that it is) and lies to you about your body changes.

If you are changing your diet only, you may appear to lose some fat in the beginning, but it may only be water you are losing. So you get frustrated when your weight stops dropping off as quick as it did before leading to frustration and sometimes people tend to quit themselves.

The camera doesn't usually miss a thing, good or bad. It is a good way to really see results in 30 day increments. Another way to see change is the measurements taken also every 30 days. I know, 30 days seems like a long time. I am not saying don't get on the scale at all. It has it's purpose. Just don't get on it every day. Once a week is fine. Just try and be PATIENT and hold off until that 30 day mark before you give up on yourself.

This weekend, I will be taking those B&A pics I hate and my measurements to guide me through my program. It will also keep me accountable since I have vowed to share my results with you.

I have posted a video to show you how to take proper body measurements. My first round of P90X I did this and was very pleasantly surprised every time it was measuring/picture day. By the time you get to the end of your goal day whether it is 60 or 90 days, your 30 day pics will be worth a million bucs. I actually cut my head out of my very first B&A pics and now wish I didn't because I am very proud of the hard work I did. I still look back on those pics and go "Whoa!" was I really that person?

If you have any questions, ask away! Monday is Fresh Start Day for me and Day 1 of Les Mills Combat. I look forward to giving you my blog updates on this program, I think this will be a fun one : )

Jenn
AKA- Fit Artist Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment